Intervention: Anything But My Own Skin

Saturday, September 25, 2010

One of the strongest highs ever

I remember these days far too well.  The days when I didn't know who I was or what I was doing.  The days that I constantly searched for the group where I would feel comfortable with my-self.  The days of when I was a teenager. 

 My heart was going out to the young men that I stood in front of.  I was telling my story.  The story of why I changed a lifestyle that would only lead to destruction.  Now, if only I could persuade them to steer away from the path they were currently on.  All I wanted was for them to feel what I feel on a daily basis.  A feeling of complete and utter joy.  The only problem is I remember being that age and listening to people speak.  I never gave them two seconds of my time.  That's why I have to make them feel the pain they know far too well and then show them how to make that pain disappear.  So I pull out old artifacts of a dead lifestyle of mine.  It makes me shiver just looking at them.  The boys eyes are focused.  The artifacts touch home to them as well.  It hurts all of us and I can't take it anymore.  

I pull out the things that bring me back to who I am now.  A newspaper article, a published book, another newspaper article, and a college diploma.  I motion to the current pile of positive things and with a large smile say, "I can either have this or this..."  I motion back to the artifacts of the dead lifestyle.  It's a no brainer.  The boys seem interested.  I can only hope they apply it to their own life.

After forty-five minutes of speaking, I set up a four square game outside in the park.  It's a way to blow off steam and enjoy some good clean fun.  It seems to be working as the boys are smiling.  It makes me feel good. 

The day is over and I'm driving back home.  The windows are open and the winds from driving along the highway rush in and out of the car.  A feeling of complete happiness surges through my body.  The thought of impacting the lives of the young men is something that nothing else can touch.  It's one of the strongest highs I've ever felt.  

How will you impact some one's life?  Are you just living for your-self or are you going to live for a path greater than yourself?    

No comments:

Post a Comment